Thursday, March 16, 2017

Day 2: Life Begins at 50

    I cannot believe I am over 50!  But when the joints have tingling pains, I put afar what I have to read or reach for my bifocals...reality sets in.  I have lived half a century!
But then numbers cannot define our capabilities or limitations.  The Golden years are supposed to enlighten us w the experiences we have had. There is so much of life ahead simply because we have gone through hell and high water and back; yet we are still alive & kicking- or dancing!  There were so many trials we thought we won't survive but amuse us now.  Or even amaze us because of the inner strength we never thought we had.
     All the things we went through allowed us to find, in the deep labyrinths of our being, strengths or weaknesses which made us who we have become. How fantastic is it that just as we think of getting to the half century mark, we realize the excitement in living!  Upon reminiscing, you say, " Been there; done that!",   only to fathom there is more!  It's like watching Indiana Jones over and over & everytime you decipher new things.   Or like reading a novel again and again, making us understand it deeper.
     Some are cool grandmamas and mothers-in-law by now.  C'est moi!!   We realize motherhood never stops when the kids get married!  Our family grows; family gatherings become more boisterous and festive!  We add names to the birthday calendar, the Christmas list and so on.
   I think it is safe to say we are all into the roller coaster of hormonal changes - even men!   Lucky are those who go through the phase with a breeze!   What could be the reason?    For me, I can surmise that it is because I had hysterectomy due to ovarian cyst.   The painful facts of genes.   That is another day in allaboutmidlife.blogger.com.
    Before I lose my thoughts,  going back to menopause- my cardio said menopause increases women's risks of acquiring illnesses like hypertension, etc. (I forgot the others...golden moment there!).   Do you agree?
      Why does life begin at 50 and not 40?  Simply because I passed 40 and I want to affirm that after a decade, life begins again!  Between 40 and 50 some of us go through major medical, emotional
and psychological challenges. I had hysterectomy at 45.   After six months, my hubby had aneurysm. God is great because He, somehow, gave us a very good neuro & cardio.   After one & a half months of his expertise, my hubby was homeward bound.
After a year and a half, hubby jogs daily.  Now he is more fit than I.
         Maybe you had your own chrysalis.  How did you manage it?   At midlife, we are lucky to have some sense of retrospect & appreciation for the good and the bad we faced.  We are deeper in faith, wiser, humbler, benevolent pragmatists- supposedly.
             For the many past things that have enriched our hearts and minds yet to many more ahead, at 50, one is lucky to realize the golden opportunties that can renew one's life.  We've only just begun!
   

     
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment