Saturday, April 8, 2017

Day 5: Should Our Children Tell Us What To Do?

Day 5:  Should Our Children Tell Us What To Do?

    My kids created my fb account so I will not be bored after surgery.  Doctor's advice was a month of total rest and succeeding life of slowing down!  That was not in my list of things to do!  Can you imagine a mom who will stay put?  My psyche was going berserk and rebellious.   Maybe I was irritating my kids with my monotonous, "How was your day?"  & you probably would have choked me to death too with my senseless talks and blah blah!!  So, the intro to a whole new world.
     This was 2010!  Anong dekada ba mundo ko? (What decade was my world?!)
     Thus, my initiation to role reversal.  Time to take lessons from my kids. Hmmm.
     It was a seesaw.  There were good momentums, times I frustrate them & I felt so dumb or stupid; and times they excitedly affirm my progress.
     One scene from my early days of  cyberation (cyber education- I made that up so please don't verify with Merriam & Webster.).
Me to my son:  Honey, all the things I typed are gone!! What happened?
Son:   Did you save your file?
Me:   How? No! Where is that?
Son:  whaa...you do that so the file will not be lost! I taught you na!
Me:  ooops.... Pls get my typewriter.
       Recently, I wanted to do online teaching.   So I had to open a Skype account.  At first I was so scared that I will destroy or give virus to the desktop.  Then I really listened to my kids like a good student and did skype.  Oh it was fun!  I met new friends who were also teaching me how to open the videochat and all.   Finally, I felt like a veteran!  Click here and there.   Google what I want to learn.   It was a daily exciting world of  discoveries!  For someone like me who loves to learn, I felt so happy and proud I danced on my seat!
      It was shortlived!  The desktop caught a virus! Arrgg!
     Wondering if my kids got upset with me?  Well that is validating what parents impart on their children.  They all tried to uplift my spirit and told me all will be well.  Things can be fixed.
     As our children mature, they come to a point of having equal footing with us- up to a certain degree. I can still use the dagger look to claim the alpha thingy.    My daughters tell me what to wear and what not to wear.   They gave me tons of advice when I was the president of our prestigious club- leadership with integrity and service; making sure I give  my all and leave a good name.   They even advise in some psycho-social issues. Naks! Sometimes I wonder when and how did they know so many facts!   I also recall an afternoon movietime when all my children were watching at home.  I asked what they were watching.  With caring matter-of-factly manner, they warned me:
"Mom, this has PG scenes."
           My student life with this bunch ain't over! Sometimes I wonder, "Who's your Mom?"

No comments:

Post a Comment